MILYON is a LabEx (Laboratoire d’Excellence), a center of Excellence, carried forward by the researchers in the fields of mathematics and theoretical computer science of the University of Lyon in the region of Lyon Saint-Etienne.
MILYON is one of the projects of Excellence that was awarded a LabEx grant (Laboratoire d’Excellence) by the French National Agency for Research (ANR), as part of the program “Investments for the Future” (Investissements d’Avenir) after a first call for proposals in 2010.MILYON is one of the twelve LabEx awarded to the University of Lyon.
By uniting three research centers internationally recognized for their tradition of excellence, MILYON enhances Lyon’s visibility and attractiveness.
Located in the heart of the second scientific hub of France, MILYON aims to establish the Lyon Saint-Etienne hub as one of the leading French research and higher education centers for mathematics and computer science and to become an international reference. By doing so, MILYON participates in the development strategy of the University of Lyon and its partner institutions.
MILYON contributes with innovative research on current key topics in mathematics and computer science as well as on topics at their interfaces with other disciplines (medicine, biology, imaging…).
MILYON meets the challenges of scientific research and higher education and intends to contribute to tomorrow’s society and economy, in particular through knowledge translation to industry and society.
… MILYON has a comprehensive and effective program of activities
MILYON initiates activities in each of its three areas of interest, research, education and outreach, by funding:
- International scientific events
- Invitations to researchers
- PhD students and Postdocs
- Scholarships for students: last year of Bachelor’s degree (Licence 3) and Master’s degree
- The House of Mathematics and Computer Science(Maison des Mathématiques et de l’informatique) in Lyon, as well as a large and diverse series of events targeted to a general audience.
The MILYON program has strengthened existing actions and developed new ones.
Building on existing activities and on time-tested processes, MILYON intends to pursue this dynamic strategy and builds an international research center.
A pluridisciplinary network of 350 researchers in 17 research teams
The MILYON LabEx is carried forward by the researchers of the Lyon Saint-Etienne region in the field of mathematics and theoretical computer science.
MILYON consists of 3 joint research units (UMR):
- The Institut Camille Jordan (ICJ)
- The Laboratoire de l’Informatique du Parallélisme (LIP)
- The Unité de Mathématiques Pures et Appliquées (UMPA)
MILYON’s three research units are affiliated with 8 partner institutions, all members of a COMUE (COMmunauté d’Universités et Etablissements), a French federal structure for universities.
- University of Lyon
- University Claude Bernard Lyon 1
- University Jean Monnet de St-Etienne
- École Centrale de Lyon
- École Normale Supérieure de Lyon
- INSA de Lyon